Captioning Multimedia & Creating Transcripts for Audio
What does the law / policy say about captioning & transcripts?
- Synchronized - the text content should appear at approximately the same time that audio would be available
- Equivalent - content provided in captions should be equivalent to that of the spoken word
- Accessible - caption content should be readily accessible and available to those who need it
Faculty have resources when it comes to creating captions for multimedia or transcripts for podcasts. They can use the DocSoft Process at the DLI. Faculty are also welcome to use YouTube to caption and edit their own videos. YouTube's Help Center has a great resource section detailing this process.
Kaltura - MediaSpace Captioning
MediaSpace, KSU's tool for uploading and streaming video and audio, has the option for faculty to request captions for their uploaded media.
By clicking "Caption and Enrich" in the "Actions" menu under your video, MediaSpace will create captions that are machine produced and 85% or higher accurate.
To improve the accuracy of the machine generated captions to the acceptable 95% level, faculty will need to edit the machine produced captions. The UITS guide for captioning in Kaltura - MediaSpace can guide you through this process.
Professional captioning is also available for videos 15 minutes or less in length through Digital Learning Innovations. Due to the increased cost of this service, DLI will prioritize requests for professional captions according to the following criteria:
- First priority is given when the request involves making accommodations for a specific student with an accommodation plan which requires captioned media
- Second priority is given for videos 15 minutes or less in length when the faculty member is not making accommodations for a specific student
- Third priority is given for all other requests
DLI does its best to support all faculty seeking to make their course content accessible for their students. To request professional captions, use the form below. If you need help breaking your videos down to 15 minute sections, view our instructional video, "How to Break Down a Longer Video into Shorter Clips."
If you are migrating your video content from Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, we recommend using the machine captioning process in MediaSpace first.
- Fill out the brief form below